This is another recipe from my cupcake calendar, taken from the book 500 Cupcakes. As these cupcakes are made with fat free or skimmed milk and contain blueberries, which are rich in nutrients and antioxidants, you could say that these are a slightly healthier version of cupcakes.However, that´s not quite the case especially seeing as I used butter instead of margarine. The cakes though have the lovely tang of blueberries combined with the acidness of the lime which combates the sweetness of the cake batter, making this a perfect combination. All cup/tablespoon/teaspoon measurements are American.
Ingredients (makes 18)
1/2 cup(4 oz.) butter/margarine,softened
1 cup (about 7oz) caster(superfine) sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla essence(extract)
1/2 cup (about 118ml) skimmed/fat-free milk( I used 2% milk)
2 cups (about 8 oz.)self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup blueberries
1 tbsp. grated lime rind
1/2 cup (about 3.5 oz) caster (superfine) sugar
2 tbsp grated lime rind
3 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 350º F (175ºC)
2. Cream butter & sugar together until fluffy, then add eggs gradually and stir until combined.
3.Beat in the vanilla & milk.
4. Sift flour and baking powder into batter and mix well.
5. Fold in the blueberries and grated lime rind, spoon into cake cases.
6. Bake for 20 mins, then cool for 5 mins.
7. Mix sugar, lime juice, grated lime zest and boiling water in a saucepan. Simmer over a medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves.
8. Simmer for 5mins.
9. Cool slightly and using a spoon, drizzle the glaze over the cupcakes.