I´ve had a bit of a break from the blogging scene recently since the birth of my daughter, Chloe, the new addition to our family! Things have been hectic and I´ve been busy recuperating from the birth and learning how to be a new mum and any spare time I have, I´ve used it for catching up on all the missed sleep! It´s a good job my mum has been here to help out as I´ve had absolutely no time for cooking and baking or much else.
I made a traditional Victoria Sandwich (my first sandwich cake!) named after Queen Victoria as she was rather partial to it before I gave birth but didn´t get chance to blog it until now. So here´s the recipe.
Ingredients (serves 8)
100g/ 4oz butter at room temperature
100g/4oz caster sugar
100g/4oz self-raising flour
whipped cream (preferably fresh rather than UHT although I can´t buy fresh cream here!)
icing sugar to dust
1. Grease and flour two sandwich tins .
2.Cream butter and sugar together till fluffy and light.
3. Beat in eggs, one at a time, adding a tablespoon of flour with each.
4. Add remaining flour and mix till well combined, then spoon mixture into sandwich tins.
5. Bake in preheated oven at 180ºC/350ºF or Gas No 4 for 25 to 30 mins.
6. When cakes have cooled, spread raspberry jam and whipped cream on one of sandwich cakes and then sandwich together.
7. Using a sieve, dust icing sugar over the top to decorate.