Low-fat carrot cake cupcakes(Makes 12)
2 cups self-raising flour
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup soft light brown sugar
1/2 cup grated carrots(about 2-3)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (I´m not a big nut fan so halved the amount of the original recipe so it was just the right amount of nuttiness for me but you can double the amount if you prefer!)
Grated rind of 1 orange
2 lightly beaten eggs
2/3 cup of sunflower oil (I ran out of sunflower oil so ended up being a mix of sunflower oil and mild olive oil!)
Cream cheese icing:
1 cup fat-free or light cream cheese
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
12 walnut halves, to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF(175ºC).
2. Mix all the cupcake ingredients in a large bowl and beat until combined(by hand or by an electric mixer)If using an electric mixer, set it to a low speed.
3. Place 12 paper cake cases in a muffin/fairy cake pan and spoon mixture into the cases.
4. Bake for 20 mins and then remove from oven and leave to cool for 5 mins.
5. Mix the icing sugar, vanilla extract and cream cheese together until combined and it is smooth and creamy.
6. Decorate cupcakes with the cream cheese icing and place a walnut half on the top.
Note: Next time, I´m thinking of adding some orange juice or plain yoghurt to the cake batter to make them moister as due to lack of kitchen equipment here, I didn´t have a cake tin to store them in and they dried out pretty quickly. Here´s the finished product, hope you like them!