2/05/2012

Traditional Almond Slices

Although I´m not a huge nut fan, I do like almonds,especially when they are used in anything marzipan-y and as I had quite a lot of almonds left over after making my Christmas Cake, I decided to make these traditional British cakes to use them up. My Gran used to make them as a little girl and I loved 'em.

Almond Slices are very similar to Bakewell Tarts (another fav of mine and that I´ll also be having a bash at making in the future!) only Bakewell Tarts are topped with icing and Almond Slices are topped with almonds. I polished these off almost single-handedly and couldn´t get enough of them and they were fairly simple to make. Here´s the recipe I used, taken from The Dairy Book of Home Cookery and slightly modified:
Ingredients:

1 packet of Short Crust Pastry (you could use homemade pastry which would be even more delicious but to save time I used frozen ready-made)
2 tbsp good quality raspberry jam (I used Bonne Maman and used a bit extra as wanted it to be nice & jammy!)
100g caster sugar
100g icing sugar (sifted)
175g ground almonds
1 egg
1 egg white
1/2 tsp almond extract
blanched,split almonds to decorate

1.Preheat oven to 200ºC/400ºF
2.Grease a baking tray and roll out pastry to 25x15cm and line baking tray with pastry, pinching long edges of pastry up to form a border.
3. Spread jam over pastry base as shown:



4. Mix sugars and ground almonds together and add egg, egg white and almond extract, stirring to form an almond paste.
5. Spread almond paste evenly on top of jam:


6. Sprinkle split almonds on top to decorate:



7.Place in oven and bake for around 25 mins.

8. When golden brown on top, leave to cool. Then cut into 14 slices.



There you have it...exceedingly good cakes...they almost give Mr Kipling a run for his money! ; )






8 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm, que delicioso! I'm in the sweet side too lately :D. When bikini operation gets near, we can go back to veggies ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks,Núria! I know, I´m always baking cakes lately!!! The only trouble is sometimes it´s only me that ends up eating them, like with these as they weren´t my husband´s favourite cakes!; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you i have been trying to find this type of recipe for a while like my granny's but all the ones on the web have butter in the filling- tollay changes the taste and texture but these are great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I´m happy that you enjoyed and liked this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. just made them love um will be making them again thank you for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I´m glad you like them-me too!! Aactually I haven´t made them for awhile so it´s about time I did!!!

      Delete
  6. Thank you! This recipe is AMAZING! I tried a different one and had to throw the whole thing away as it was awful.

    Your recipe is the best! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Please feel free to leave your comments-would love to have any feedback-thanks!

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails