These Halloween cupcakes are well overdue now as I made them on Halloween itself for our Halloween party. They are slightly adapted from my cupcake calender and despite the decorating part being a bit fiddly, they went down a treat. With the cupcakes containing pumpkin puree and the addition of spices such as cinnamon and allspice, they are definitely a taste of autumn and Halloween!
Ingredients (makes around 16 medium sized cupcakes)
1 300g jar of pumpkin pieces (it´s very difficult to find here in Spain, I found it in Aldi but nearly ended up having to leave the pumpkin out which wouldn´t have been the same!)(use all pumpkin pieces but only added a little of juice from the jar)
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 cups sugar (preferably caster)
1/2 cup olive oil (mild is best so doesn´t affect taste of cupcakes)
2 lightly beaten eggs
1/2 cup milk
orange & black fondant
Halloween cookie cutters
1. Puree the pumpkin pieces with a little of syrup/juice from jar in a blender-should make about 1 cup.
2.Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC) and place cupcake cases in muffin tray.
3. Mix all dry ingredients together.
4. Beat oil, eggs and milk in a large bowl and add pumpkin puree.
5. Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir till well combined.
6.Spoon into cupcake cases and bake for 20-30 mins (depending on your oven).
7.When cool, brush with apricot jam. Cut out black and orange fondant circles using cookie cutters and stick on top of cupcakes.
8. Using Halloween cookie cutters cut out Halloween shapes in orange and black fondant. Brush with apricot jam and stick on top of fondant circles and voila you have some cute, scary(ish) Halloween cupcakes!
I used some Halloween cookie cutters I got at Target when I was in the USA, which were great for this project.However, it was a little fiddly as you had to cut out the eyes, nose and mouth with a knife so patience was definitely a virtue! Also, the cupcakes didn´t rise very much so I´m not sure if this was due to using olive oil but they tasted great,which is the main thing!