2/06/2011

Traditional Bread & Butter Pudding

I´ve just realized that the majority of British recipes on here are dessert or cake recipes. I´ll have to post some more main dish courses but I suppose it´s because what I miss the most about British cuisine and it´s also what I most enjoy cooking -and eating! ; )




This is a great recipe for using up stale or leftover bread but in my case, it was also to use up some of the dried fruit leftover from making my Christmas cake. This recipe is based on how my mum and gran make their Bread & Butter Pudding with a sneak peak at Delia Smith´s version in The Complete Cookery Course for quantities. The end result is a lovely,traditional, stodgy(ish) but delicious pudding, which is ideal for a cold winter´s day or night. Comfort food at it´s best!



Ingredients (for 2 people)



4oz bread (about 5 small slices), with the crusts cut off



butter



1 egg



5 fl oz milk



37g(about 1 1/2oz) sugar



3oz(about 82g) mixed dried fruit (raisins, sultanas & currants)

a pinch of grated nutmeg (optional)





Method





1. Butter bread on both sides ( you could just butter one side or use margarine if you are watching your weight).Don´t worry if the bread tears when buttering as it will all be mixed up eventually.
2. Place bread in layers in Pyrex or other oven proof dish.
3. Sprinkle sugar and mixed fruit on top of bread.
4. Beat egg and milk together and pour on top of bread, sugar and mixed fruit.
5. Mix all mixture together so bread soaks all egg and milk up and mixed fruit is combined (I like the mixed fruit to run all the way through the pudding, not just to be at the top).
6. Place in preheated oven at 180 ºC (350ºF) for 20-30 minutes.
7. Serve with custard or cream.






2 comments:

  1. I want some pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I love it SO MUCH!!!! but Andrew doesn't like it at all so I have no excuse to prepare it! :(
    Adoro tu blog!!!!!!!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alma! That´s a shame! I´ve never heard of a British person not liking bread & butter pudding before!Maybe you can find an excuse to make it for your family or friends some time! Forgot to say, it´d be extra delish with a dollop of clotted cream ; ) Me encanta tu blog tambien!xxx

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Please feel free to leave your comments-would love to have any feedback-thanks!

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails